Features

Black Easter has become international news thanks in great part to the claim by Daesh (IS) that it was responsible. The attack which reached new heights in terms of the horror and barbaric nature of the attack in which over 45 children lost their lives, is set to change the political landscape in Sri Lanka. In fact, that change is very much underway.

The Easter Sunday attacks two weeks ago were a reminder of how important it is for a nation, union or an establishment to be prepared to combat and prevent terrorism, that a state cannot completely divorce itself from terrorism and that no nation can be safe from global terrorism in this day and age.

On Easter Sunday, my wife and I attended the Easter Sunday Mass at 6:30 a.m. at All Saints Church, Colombo 8, then visited Cinnamon Grand, returned home by around 9:15 a.m. only to hear the reports of explosions in three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and  Kochchikade. 

Sunday, 28 April 2019 11:51

Standing together against terrorism

Over 325 people were killed in the recent Easter Sunday multiple attacks, seemingly echoing the attack in Christchurch, New Zealand, sometime back. Media commentators have invoked the resilience of Sri Lankans to terrorism, expressing their stoic refusal to be terrified.

Sunday, 21 April 2019 09:18

Andy’s Story: Why it matters to you

Have you ever wondered just how lucky you are to be reading this newspaper, whether in print or on a device? You’re lucky because that already puts you in the better-off 10 percent of the Sri Lankan population. This story is about my friend Andy Kularatne who died last month; through it, I want to show you, and the other 90 percent of our countrymen who cannot afford a newspaper, just how lucky we actually are.

Sunday, 31 March 2019 11:30

Do Reparations matter?

O 1 ORSince the end of the war, the political-landscape of Sri Lanka has consistently prioritized the agenda of progressive and unhindered socio-economic development above all else. Inclusion and non-discrimination largely matter for this policy because a country cannot truly develop if only one group, community, or social class is benefitting from it. To put it simply, there is no development without progress for all.

Over the past decade, the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) has been exclusively probing graft cases involving ‘small people’, while cases of corruption of over Rs.10 million are left largely uninvestigated, a Right to Information application has revealed.

Sunday, 10 March 2019 10:25

Mixed views on Budget 2019

The Sunday Observer interviewed a cross section of Government and non Government politicians to get their views on Budget 2019.

Sunday, 03 March 2019 09:32

The modern rice bowl

Agriculture is the main livelihood of around 1.8 million people in Sri Lanka. Rice is the staple food of Sri Lankans, and around 2.8 million tonnes of rice are produced annually in the country. Sri Lanka’s legendary harvests once brought fame for the country which earned the name, the ‘Granary of the East’.

Sunday, 24 February 2019 08:21

Sinharaja incident an attempt at bio-piracy?

In the wake of the recent bio theft attempt (the largest ever collection of animals and plants) from Sinharaja, questions remain as to the purpose of the theft. While the authorities have concluded investigations, experts express concern that the incident could be a possible instance of bio-piracy.

Page 2 of 9

Latest Features

Image
There are 31470 listings and 942 categories in our website