Friday, 14 September 2018 06:08

Vouchers destroyed on Aloysius’ order

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Deputy Solicitor General (DSG), President’s Counsel (PC) Yasantha Kodagoda yesterday (13), informed Colombo Fort Chief Magistrate, Lanka Jayaratne, that the Attorney General’s Department has come across evidence to suggest that 102 vouchers containing primary dealer Perpetual Treasuries Limited (PTL) money given to other parties, through the W.M. Mendis and Company, had been destroyed.

Kodagoda made this submission in Court on behalf of the Attorney General, when the case pertaining to the Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL) Treasury Bonds scam was taken up for hearing at the Colombo Fort Chief Magistrate’s Court.

Kodagoda told the Court that officers of the financial division of W.M. Mendis and Company, Sujith Alwis, Buddhi Perera and S. Harisam had confessed to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on 31 August, 2018, that on a day in November last year and on the orders of beneficiary owner of the PTL, Arjun Aloysius, 7 vouchers had been destroyed and the date of the new vouchers had been changed before being handed over to the CID. One of the destroyed vouchers is the purchase of an apartment for former Minister Ravi Karunanayake.

The prosecution was represented by Kodagoda PC, DSG Haripriya Jayasundera, Senior State Counsel Lakmini Girihagama and Udara Karunaratne and officers from the CID.

Attorney Jeewantha Jayathileke and Anil Silva PC appeared for the incarcerated beneficiary owner of the PTL, Aloysius and its Chief Executive Officer Kasun Palisena, while a group of Attorneys led by Kolitha Dharmawardene PC appeared for W.M. Mendis and Company.

Counsel Silva making submissions in Court produced details regarding the calculations of Rs 1 billion which had been located in the PTL database.
Counsel Dharmawardene, making submissions in Court, said that Alwis had been summoned to the CID on 53 occasions to obtain a confession from him. He claimed that the CID was taking great pains to highlight a wrongdoing that wasn’t even in existence. He told the Court that though the names of two Parliamentarians had been previously mentioned in Court, thus far the prosecution had failed to even submit a ‘B’ report on it to the Court.

Later, Chief Magistrate Jayaratne granted approval to two Directors of the PTL, Pushpa Mitra Gunawardene and Ranjan Hulugalla, who were banned from leaving the country, to leave the country from tomorrow (15) to 25 September following a request made to that effect by the defence, as the prosecution did not object to it.

The Chief Magistrate allowed surety bail to the two suspects in Rs 1 million each. She also said that once the two suspects return to the country, the Court should be notified and their bail bond will then be cancelled.
Magistrate Jayaratne ordered the two suspects Aloysius and Palisena to be further remanded till 27 September.

Meanwhile, the case filed against Aloysius, Palisena, former Chief Buyer of the PTL Nuwan Salgadu and its former Technical Officer Sajith Devathanthri, on charges that the compact discs, containing phone conversations of the PTL officers, which were handed over to the Presidential Commission of Inquiry probing the CBSL bonds scam, had been damaged and distorted, was also taken up for hearing at the Colombo Fort Chief Magistrate’s Court yesterday.

The Chief Magistrate ordered the Court Registrar to send a reminder to the Government Analyst to send the reports related to the Court items which had been sent for tests.

Both Salgadu and Devathanthri have been enlarged on bail in two sureties of Rs 300,000 each. They were present in Court yesterday.

(Ceylon Today)

Latest News

Parliament

21 September 2018
There are 30023 listings and 877 categories in our website

Call us

For Business Promotions - +94 777 200 670