Thursday, 27 February 2020 07:01

Government formally withdraws from the UN Resolution on Sri Lanka

The Government today formally withdrew from the UN Resolution on Sri Lanka and offered to address issues on accountability through a domestic process.

Foreign Relations Minister Dinesh Gunawardena briefed the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) on Sri Lanka’s decision to withdraw from Resolution 40/1 which Sri Lanka had earlier cosponsored.

Minister Gunawardena, speaking at the 43rd Session of the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva today, said that the Resolution on Sri Lanka cosponsored by the former Government was a violation of the Constitution of Sri Lanka.

He said that the resolution was cosponsored by the former Sri Lankan Government without the consent of then President Maithripala Sirisena or Parliament.

As a result, the Minister said that Sri Lanka will withdraw its co-sponsorship of Resolution 40/1 and previous Resolutions 30/1 and 34/1.

The Minister said that Sri Lanka will however continue to work with the UN and will also ensure justice and reconciliation and address the concerns of the vulnerable sections of society.

He said that Sri Lanka will appoint a Commission of Inquiry (CoI) headed by a Supreme Court justice to review reports of former commissions which investigated alleged abuse of human rights and humanitarian law.

Gunawardena said that the Commission of Inquiry will propose measures to be taken to implement some of the past recommendations keeping in mind the policy of the new Government


(LI)

Image
There are 31209 listings and 925 categories in our website